Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
WEBINAR: 'The Evolving Impact of ESG on the Chemical Industry'
The September 29th webinar has been recorded.
Members of Société can view the webinar here
Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) has become a dominate topic in all parts of government and business. The key ESG issues have been identified as urgent problems and the pressure to adhere to the evolving expectations and rules has increased. In addition, many of the investors are now judging companies based on the ESG performance and dedicated funds that invest based on ESG criteria now control huge sums of capital.
What is ESG? ESG includes broader Environmental (including Global Warming, carbon footprint, Energy and resource management and focus on more renewable resources), Social (Diversity, Inclusion, Data privacy, Health and Safety) and Governance (Board composition, Corruption, Regulatory management) topics that affect every aspect of the management of chemical companies.
We have assembled a panel that will address the following questions, followed by open discussion involving those in attendance:
1. How are people (companies and rating agencies) defining ESG and the individual categories under the overall topic?
2. What standards (quantitative and qualitative) have been established, what standards are being proposed by whom, and where are we heading in term of standards?
3. How are companies attempting to meet these standards and reporting their performance in the various ESG categories?
4. Who, other than the companies themselves, is checking to see whether the companies are meeting the standards in each category and how are are the results being communicated to the public, government, other entities?
5. What are the incentives (rewards and penalties) companies are facing or believe they are facing for their compliance with the various ESG standards?
6. What are the implications of all of the above for companies who feel that they are being judged under the various ESG categories for their performance?
Please join us for what will be both an insightful set of comments and audience discussion of this important topic.
1:00 pm to 2:15 pm EST (with networking sessions before and after the panel)
ICIS Chemical Business
|| Robert Westervelt
|| Peter Young
CEO and Managing Director
Young & Partners
About our Speakers:
Joseph Chang is Global Editor of ICIS Chemical Business, a weekly publication covering the dynamic business trends in the chemical industry worldwide. ICIS Chemical Business is a weekly features-led global magazine covering the business of chemicals.
Robert Westervelt is editor in chief of IHS Markit Chemical Week, has covered the global chemical industry for more than 25 years. He leads Chemical Week’s coverage and analysis of news and trends impacting the global chemical industry. Westervelt joined the magazine in 1994 as a reporter and editorial assistant.
Peter Young is CEO and a Managing Director of Young & Partners, an international investment banking firm focused on the chemical and life sciences industries. Young & Partners serves the corporate business and financial strategy, M&A, capital raising, bankruptcy and restructuring, and financial advisory needs of large and medium sized companies in the U.S., Europe, Latin America and Asia.
Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 1:00 PM until 2:15 PM
Webinar/1:00 pm EST
A link to the webinar will be sent a day or two prior to the broadcast.